I remember a time in my young life when I frequently felt like the ideal future path of humanity would usher in togetherness, harmonious homeostasis, and compassion.

Now, with the help of some perspective, I am just beginning to see that there is no secret pocket of untapped virtue within the vast majority of us. The living eat the dead and the collective voice of my people is turned in on itself rather than belting out some angelic exaltation to the heavens of our potential for social cohesion.

I see that it is ignorant to look past the shackles and into the eyes, or at least it is certainly not the just thing to do.

It's hard for me now to conceptualize the world I would like to live in, for this world confuses me and has disenfranchised and distorted  my connection to the unifying spirit of shared hope that I once sought with confidence.